SportsEngine Registration: Ontario Lacrosse Association - Referee Registration

2017 Mens Field Referee Registration


Welcome to the 2017 Men's Field Referee Registration!

This registration session will allow you to register for the 2016 Box Referee Registration. To complete registration for a clinic, please read carefully through this page and then create an account. You must have your Visa, MasterCard, VISA-Debit checking account or Paypal information ready to register for your clinic. If you have any questions regarding online registration, please contact the OLA Clinics Team at

FAQs on Criminal Record Checks for OLA Officials

Q: I submitted the original copy of my CRC / VSS at my 2015 referee clinic. What do I need to do this year?

A: Fill out an Offense Declaration Form, put it in a sealed envelope with your name on the front, and bring it to your clinic.

Q: I was 17 last year. Do I need a CRC / VSS?

A: Anyone who turns 18 prior to January 1, 2016 must bring a CRC / VSS to their referee clinic.

Q: What is a CRC / VSS, and why do I need one?

A: While officiating lacrosse, you will be in contact with vulnerable people. Vulnerable individuals are people who, because of their age, a disability, or other circumstances, whether temporary or permanent, are in a position of dependence upon others. Therefore, they may be at a greater risk than the general population of being harmed by persons in a position of authority or trust. As referees, we are in a position of authority. A Criminal Record Check (CRC) / Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) report will help to protect the game's participants, and is mandatory for all referees who are 18 years or older as of January 1, 2015. The results of a CRC / VSS help the Ontario Lacrosse Association to determine whether an individual will be suitable to work in positions where they will be in contact with vulnerable people. The submission of a CRC is the responsibility of the referee and will only be accepted at the time of the officiating clinic.

Q: Who needs a CRC / VSS?

A: All referees who are 18 and over as of January 1, 2016 are required to submit a CRC / VSS. Officials who are 17 and under are not required to complete this portion to register for their clinic.

Q: What do I do with my completed CRC / VSS?

A: Your completed CRC / VSS is your ticket to attend your referee clinic. You are required to bring this document with you, in a sealed envelope, with your name clearly printed on the front. Your CRC / VSS will be stored in a secure box and submitted to the Privacy Officer for screening before the season begins.

Q: I have applied for my CRC / VSS, but my local police department has informed me that my results will not be ready in time for my clinic. What should I do?

A: Bring a photocopy of your date-stamped receipt (inside a sealed envelope with your name clearly printed on the front) from your local police department that shows that you have applied for your CRC. You will be allowed to take your clinic, but your assignor will be notified that you are not considered a member in good standing (ie. you will not be assigned games) until you have submitted the results of your CRC / VSS.

Q: I referee both box and field. Do I need a separate CRC / VSS for each sector?

A: No - once your CRC / VSS is submitted as a referee, it is good for four years for any officiating involvement that you have with the Ontario Lacrosse Association, whether it is officiating in any sector. You will need to sign an "Offense Declaration" form for each sector until your CRC / VSS expires. If you are submitting a CRC / VSS to your local association as a coach, you must request a second original copy to be submitted as a referee. 

Q: How long does it take to apply for a CRC / VSS from my local police department?

A: In some areas of Ontario, it takes between 4 and 12 weeks to obtain your Vulnerable Sector Search Criminal Record Check. If you have lived in more than one city, town or geographic area in the last five years, it could take longer as police services must be checked in each place you have lived. It is especially important to begin this process early so that you can receive your results in time for your clinic. 

Q: What do I need to bring with me when I apply for my CRC / VSS?

A: In addition to the Ontario Lacrosse Association CRC / VSS request form at the top of this page, you are also required to bring two pieces of government-issued ID (one of which MUST be a photo card). Health cards and SIN cards are typically not accepted as government issued ID. The cost of requesting a CRC / VSS varies depending on the police service in the municipality that you live in (it can cost anywhere between $10 and $60). It is recommended that you call your local police service to find out the cost to request your CRC / VSS, as well as to determine the wait time.

Q: I am from the city of Toronto or from New York State, and my police department does not issue CRCs / VSS. What should I do?

A: If you live in Toronto or New York State and your police department will not issue you a Vulnerable Sector Search, you may use Sterling Backcheck to order your CRC / VSS at a cost of $27 for OLA Members. This option is also now open to all referees. From application to results, the average time is 72 hours.

Q: What happens if there is a positive result on my CRC / VSS?

A: The police department where you apply to for your CRC / VSS will return the results to you only. If there is a positive result on your CRC / VSS, you may make a decision on whether to submit the finding or withdraw from involvement with the Ontario Lacrosse Association. If you choose to withdraw, any registration fee that you have paid for the current season will be refunded to you in full. If you choose to submit the finding, the privacy officer will blank out your name and forward the remaining information to the Ontario Lacrosse Association's Screening Committee for a decision on whether or not the nature of the finding will prevent your involvement. This decision is then returned to the Privacy Officer, who will contact you directly to notify you of the decision. 

Q: I recently had a CRC / VSS done for another organization. Will the Ontario Lacrosse Association accept this check?

A: For this first year, the original stamped document is required to be on record with the Ontario Lacrosse Association. If your CRC / VSS was performed in the last six months*, you may request a second copy from your local police services and submit that as your CRC / VSS. If it has been longer than six months since your last CRC / VSS, you will need to re-request this document and submit it for this season. 

*Note: a previous version of this FAQ reported that the length of time for a valid CRC to be three months. This period has now been extended to six (6) months. 

Print out a copy of this request form to bring to your local police department when requesting your CRC / VSS.

Print out a copy of this request form if your CRC / VSS was submitted in 2015.